W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > w3c-wai-ig@w3.org > January to March 2005

Re: looking for an accessible data table:

From: James Craig <wai-ig@cookiecrook.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 00:26:57 -0600
Message-Id: <b3fa1865687688b060a4378afda3bfab@cookiecrook.com>
To: wai-ig list <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

Patrick H. Lauke wrote:
> Access Systems wrote:
>> no and it is because (at least in Linux/LYNX)...
>
> haven't looked too hard at that page's markup, but assuming that it is  
> correct (properly defined headings, scope, etc), is the problem you're  
> describing not one of the user agent (in this case lynx) rather than  
> the page author?

I think you've nailed it Patrick; that's why I asked what user agent  
Bob was using when he experienced the problem. Now that we know it's  
Lynx, I'm not surprised he had trouble with a data table.

To follow on the 'correct markup' comment, he uses a technique I  
haven't seen before. Scope is used appropriately for most of the cells,  
and headers/ID is added on a few of the cells. I've only used these  
techniques independently (either all scope, or all headers/ID) but not  
both combined. I'm on a Mac at home and haven't had a chance to test  
this at work yet, but I'd be curious to know if screen readers handled  
this technique consistently.

Here's that table again for reference.
<http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/business-plans/sequoia/financials/summary- 
table.html>

James
Received on Thursday, 17 February 2005 06:27:11 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Tuesday, 19 July 2011 18:14:19 GMT