RE: Copywriting for Screenreaders (was Alt text for URL's)

> From: w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org

> Ok,  I'll put it succinctly.  If site navigation is so bad
> that it needs to
> be skipped, how can it be improved so that it does not need
> to be skipped.
> It seems that we've been reduced to one nav aide and that is
> to skip from or
> to someting.  Gone are the days it seems when a well
> structured site was
> envited.

I'd provide a link to skip to the main content even if the navigation
was clear and succint (say around 10 items or so). For keyboard use,
it saves me tabbing 10 times...and I'd think that's a good thing.

Anyway, I think we're sort of agreeing in that I wouldn't advocate
reliance on these links and have them as an excuse to build superbly
convoluted main navigations of 30+ items or so.

I'll butt out of the rest of this conversation now...it seems to have
gone a bit cyclic (or maybe we're just talking across purposes, meaning
different things but using the same terminology, not sure).

Patrick
Patrick H. Lauke
Webmaster / University of Salford
http://www.salford.ac.uk