Re: Copywriting for Screenreaders (was Alt text for URL's)

From: Janet Russeau <russeau@misd.k12.mi.us>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 08:29:30 -0500
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

At 04:57 AM 2/14/2005, you wrote:
>snip...
>So I was wondering if anybody has written or come across any "Copywriting
>guidelines for screeenreaders"? If not, I'd really like to know any other
>copywriting tips/recommendations people have. e.g. Making sure alt text
>has full stops (periods) at the end of each sentence.
>
>Something like that could be really useful, especially for the vast legion
>of web developers out there who don't have access to their own copy of
>JAWS/Window Eyes.
>
>Andy
...snip

I would also be interested in a similar resource. I have worked as a
technical writer/editor for printed projects in the past and found the many
resources priceless. It sure would be helpful to have something for web
projects, although I would really like to have a significant amount of the
information come from individuals that actually use screenreaders and other
alternative browsing devices. My boss is willing to purchase copies of JAWS
and Window Eyes for me, but since I am a sighted user and don't know enough
about each product, I wouldn't have a clue where to begin setting up
options or using it like someone with a vision impairment.

Just thought I'd throw my $0.02 into the mix.

Thanks,
Janet Russeau