RE: Copywriting for Screenreaders (was Alt text for URL's)

From: Lois Wakeman <lois@lois.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 11:40:35 -0000
To: "'W'" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

Andy, your idea of a house style for screen-readers is really interesting.
If there isn't one already, I wonder if some list members would like to
collaborate on creating one? As a tech writer, I am happy to volunteer to
edit all submissions into a consistent 'user handbook'. (But not necessarily
yesterday, since paid work has to come first.)
> I also recently learned that  "Skip to content" tends to confuse
> screenreaders because of the words duel meaning and it is much better
> to write "Skip to main content".
Also, use CSS so that the main content comes first in the page.
Kind regards,
Lois Wakeman
http://communicationarts.co.uk
http://lois.co.uk