Re: looking for an accessible data table:

From: William R Williams <wrwilliams@fs.fed.us>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 15:18:53 -0800
To: wai-ig list <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>, w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org

It is a fairly complex data table -- that is why I volunteered it and am
anxious to know just how accessible (or not) it may be. Go ahead - rip it
apart if you like, I am somewhat thick-skinned, so long as there some
lessons learned. Plus, I have another 5 or 6 or these to do in the coming

This was not an easy chore to begin with; especially considering that it
was originally composed as an Excel spreadsheet. I made use of a number of
attributes such as summary, scope, headers and id; but I could have done
more, I suppose, for the grouping of cells if it would actually help. I
could have removed some deprecated mark-up as well; for example, the width
attributes, but I doubt that would influence its accessibility.

The file validates, makes it through Bobby and some other accessibility
checkers. And I know it appears a mess when linearized (i.e., in Tablin).

What's a person to do?

             Kassia Krozser
             Sent by:                  wai-ig list <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
             w3c-wai-ig-reques                                          cc
                                       Re: looking for an accessible data
             02/09/2005 02:44          table:

I recently wrote an article that mentioned the difficulties inherent in
creating accessible tables, especially if you're trying to present complex
information. If you look at the code and the information being presented,
makes sense. Sure, the person who did the work could have used the full
breadth and depth of possible elements in an accessible table, but, looking
at the data, I'm not sure more code would help matters (heck, I'm not even
sure all the options are used by screenreaders or browsers).