RE: Languages and ASCII Re: accessible banking:

From: Jon Hanna <jon@hackcraft.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 00:44:29 -0000
To: "'Charles McCathieNevile'" <charles@sidar.org>, "'wai-ig list'" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

> Bahasa melayu and bahasa indonesi - so at least 300 million
> odd people can
> write their language.

Actually, now I think of it, I think Latinised Japanese can get by in ASCII as well, though I'm not sure.

 As far as I know klingon is written
> "natively" in
> its own characters - which were included in Unicode.

No, the "native" alphabet for Klingon is Latin with capitalisation being phonetically significant. The "Klingon script" is mainly for show, operates as a simple cypher for the Latin form, and is not used by the Klingon Language Institute. It was proposed for addition to Unicode, but the proposal was rejected, mainly on the basis of it being a simple cypher for an existing script.

(For the record I'm a Unicode nerd, not a Star Trek nerd)

Regards,
Jon Hanna
Work: <http://www.selkieweb.com/>
Play: <http://www.hackcraft.net/>