RE: Screen Readers and Operating Systems

From: Bailey, Bruce <Bruce.Bailey@ed.gov>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 13:50:49 -0500
To: "Gilles Casse" <gcasse@oralux.org>, <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

We are getting off topic for this list.

> [EmacSpeak] Also tested under Mac OS X, fine!

I would very much appreciate any relevant URLs supporting this notion!

I did a Google search and the most on-target response for this was also one of the first hits:
http://www.cs.vassar.edu/~priestdo/emacspeak/list.archive.2003/msg00352.html
>From our own Kynn Bartlett on 8 May 2003 (yes, a little old):
>> I don't know anyone who has yet gotten emacspeak working on Mac OS X

> Just for info, could you please indicate which were the
> unsuccessful tests you did ?

I don't think there is anything to be learned from my failed experience.  This was with OX X 10.0 public beta, I think in 2001.  It might have been SpeakUp or even some other Linux screen reader.  Not only was I unable to figure out how to compile Unix apps, but I also learned then that Linux screen readers required hardware speech synthesis.  (This limitation is probably no longer true.)  I had a DecTalk Express available, but no way to connect it to a USB-only PowerMac!  (This problem has also been largely resolved at this point in time.)