Re: problems with a web site tableless using mozilla and opera.

El Lunes, 31 de Octubre de 2005 22:52, escribió:
> hello to all,
>
> i´m responsible to usability and accessibility of the new web site of rio
> de janeiro state university.  we´re developing the new site without tables,
> using only div, according w3c specifications.  this decision is to improve
> the accessibility to different persons and equipments.  the test version is
> at www.edsonsouza.com.br/portal.
>
> we´re experiencing differences in visualization with mozilla and opera.  in
> mozilla, the grey area in the left menu below the menu items appears white.
> the right would be continue the grey area until the footer (see in ie to
> understand).

My experience is that mozilla implements better CSS than the others, an IE is
the worst. So far I have not seen any property that runs in IE and it does
not in mozilla.  I think that the problem with left menu is that you have
specified in your style page as:

#menuesq {
 float: left;
 width: 180px;
 background-image: url('img/bg_menuesq.gif');
 border-right: 1px solid #C1C7D0 }

And the following is what it appears in the definition about the claculation
of the height of block elements:

10.6.6 Floating, non-replaced elements

If 'margin-top', or 'margin-bottom' are 'auto', their used value is 0. If
'height' is 'auto', the height depends on the element's descendants....

Luis.
--
http://antares.sip.ucm.es/~luis