Screen Readers and Operating Systems (was Re: accessible banking:)

On Wed, Feb 02, 2005 at 09:45:37AM -0500, Access Systems wrote:

> yes I rarely mess with a mac, but I wondered since OSX is a unix
> variant (sort of) if it was close enough that a *nix screen reader
> could be made to work??

It depends on what it is trying to read. Gnopernicus, for example,
would be next to useless since it (as far as I know) depends on X11
(and possibly GTK supporting applications). Most applications on OS X
do not run under X11. Emacspeak, on the other hand, runs on top of
emacs (I think, I haven't actually tried it[1]), so it could probably
run under OS X without too much difficulty. Emacs is available for
that platform, any holdup would likely be with the speech synthesis
software and/or hardware.

[1] I did some poking around on my system and I seem to have it
installed, along with a software speech synth, so I'll try to get it
working tonight - its a 45 minute drive to earshot of the speakers on
that system otherwise I would do it now :)