Re: accessible banking:

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005, Kelly Pierce wrote:

> From: "Katie Smith" <ksmith@no10.x.gsi.gov.uk>
> To: "'david poehlman'" <david.poehlman@handsontechnologeyes.com>; "Kelly
> Pierce" <kpierce2000@earthlink.net>; "Access Systems" <accessys@smart.net>
> Cc: <Kurt_Mattes@bankone.com>; <John.Carpenter@pdms.com>;
>
> > OK, so if 95% of people use Windows, how come only 77% of visitors to our
> > website are using IE? (this figure is on a downward trend as well).
> >
> > Kelly - I agree to a certain extent that this is not about accessibility
> > disabled users, but personally, my interest in accessibility extends
> > catering for disability - to me it's about offering choice to consumers
> Katie,
>
> I did a quick search for market share data and found:
>
> http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

which of course is not usable very well in text based browsers.

> which shows that the windows family of OS has about a 90 percent market
> share and Mac and Linux have a five percent market share with I assume

hmmm interesting that is up from the 3% market share of just last year.

> others too small to count.  internet explorer is similar to your usage data
> with about 70 percent of website visitors.  what accounts for the
> difference?  I think it is a result of the alternatives getting better and

I think there are two errors in the statistical data.   the fact that most
computers come delivered with windows is how it is counted but it has no
way of knowing if that user is actually using the windows OS or has loaded
another OS.

and in the same vein since Linux (and other Open source flavors) is not
"Sold" in the convential sense and is freely shared I don't think anyone
can say with any assurance how many people are using Linux.  I picked up
my copy from a friend in the linux user group I am a member of and he got
it from a free download (he has a faster connection than I) and I know I
have given away several copies myself, now how is this counted?

> innovating while Microsoft has barely developed IE in the past few years.

and since many other browsers can "emulate" IE and fool the reciever into
thinking it is IE even when it may be something else, how can anyone know
what the true users numbers are or how many are alisis

> As a global concept, accessibility is an idea for everyone, accommodating
> diverse needs and systems.  I think in the United States when we hear the

but the WORLD WIDE WEB is not only the USA and in other places (probably
not relavant in the banking context) older less advanced computers are
being used, open source in some countries is quite a bit larger market
share and older versions of operating systems are being used.  not to
mention the cost of internet access and text is much faster when the lines
are dirty or there is limited bandwidth.

Bob
CONFIGURE YOUR E-MAIL TO SEND TEXT ONLY, see http://expita.com/nomime.html

safety deserve Neither liberty nor safety",    Benjamin Franklin
    NO HTML/PDF/RTF in e-mail                   accessys@smartnospam.net