sad:Fw: Pioneering programme for visually impaired

Johnnie Apple Seed

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Pattison" <srp@bigpond.net.au>
To: "GUI-TALK" <gui-talk@nfbnet.org>; "Access-L" <access-l@icomm.ca>
Sent: Tuesday, January 25, 2005 7:18 AM
Subject: Fwd: Pioneering programme for visually impaired

*********** BEGIN FORWARDED MESSAGE  ***********

This is Worcester (UK), January 24, 2005

VISUALLY-impaired students will be able to surf the net with ease for
the
first time thanks to ground-breaking new technology.

For RNIB New College's 85 students, navigating the internet and
studying
on-line has often been frustrating and difficult - and in some cases
impossible.

The Whittington Road school is now preparing to introduce a pioneering
computer programme called CREATE, which will allow pupils to gain full
access to the college website.

Due to go live at Easter, the site will allow students to listen to a
synthesised voice reading out text on each page.

It also features a variety of different text sizes and colours, making
pages
easier to read.

"The student has to research a lot of material, so it is important they
can
easily download information," said Peter Bryenton, the city college's
IT
trainer.

"What also impresses about this system is that it is easy for members
of
staff to use, too, allowing them to put information and coursework on
the
website for the students to access."

The site can be accessed by students as well as visually-impaired
people
from outside the college.

It also complies with the Disability Discrimination Act (DDA),
introduced
in
October, which requires organisations to make websites accessible to
disabled people.

Mr Bryenton believes the new system could point the way for businesses
follow.

"Top of our list of priorities was complying with the new legislation
and
ensuring that the website was easier to use for students," he said.

"But I think the DDA will have a positive impact on the web.

"Interestingly, the sort of content we will be putting on our website
will
be clearer to view for all because it is better structured and easier
navigate.

"So there may be lessons to learn for all businesses and organisations
here."

The CREATE system was developed by Sutton Coldfield-based Blue Spheres,
after a Disability Rights Commission survey found 80 per cent of
websites
were impossible for disabled people to use.

www.thisisworcester.co.uk/worcestershire/worcester/news/WEN_NEWS_LATE
ST7.html
*********** END FORWARDED MESSAGE  ***********

Regards Steve,