RE: Strikethrough elements and JAWS

Jon Hanna wrote:

> Has anyone actually got this to work in JAWS? I just tried setting
> what I thought were the correct settings for the following HTML: <P>A
> Sheriff can employ <del>3</del><INS>5</INS> deputies. </P>
JAWS 6.0 read this code as I expected it to: it read the numeral 3 in
the high pitched voice it uses to indicate deletions (strikethru) and
read the numeral "5" in a somewhat lower-pitched but still seemingly
"female" voice.

This doesn't happen under the default JAWS settings.  To make it work,
go
Configuration Manager|Utilities|Settings|Speech and Sounds Manager and
choose the sound scheme called Proofreading (attributes).  Press OK,
then close the Configuration Manager and save the file when prompted.
Once you've done all that, you should hear what I heard.

The proposed "kludge" (using the title attribute) didn't work-- JAWS
didn't speak the title attribute.
Hope that helps.
John Slatin
That should work, JAWS is at fault if it doesn't.
As a bit of a kludge what about:

deputies. </p>

If you are using the datetime attribute you might want to include that
in the title attribute (in a more human-friendly format than the ISO
8601-based format that attribute requires) as well.

How would this work with readers that did handle <del> and <ins>
correctly though, since it's repeating information.

Regards,
Jon Hanna
Work: <http://www.selkieweb.com/>
Play: <http://www.hackcraft.net/>