Re: Table Captions and Summaries

From: Matthew Smith <matt@kbc.net.au>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 12:24:51 +1030
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

Hi All

Tina Holmboe wrote:
The two [table caption and summary] should, in my view, both be present, not
overlap, and
certainly describe different sides to the table and the data.

This raises an interesting point for me.  If the data is generated
automatically, does this mean should write a programme to interpret it and thus
provide the summary?

My page at <http://www.mss.cx/current_weather.html> attempts to provide an
accessible weather report.  The tables are highly marked up to aid navigation
(which cell belongs to which headings) and are captioned, but do not contain
summaries.  I suppose that this would be possible, although it would probably
quadruple the code used to produce the page.

In such a page, would provision of a summary be sufficiently important for the
pages accessibility to warrant the extra programming required?  I would be more
than likely to do this for my own work as an academic exercise, but does such a
thing make a significant difference to the accessibility of the page?

Matthew Smith
Kadina Business Consultancy
South Australia