RE: Using CSS to create zoom layouts for low-vision people

From: John Colby <John.Colby@uce.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 17:37:06 -0000
To: "Joe Clark" <joeclark@joeclark.org>, "WAI-IG" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>, "WAI-GL" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

[Joe Clark]
Subject: Using CSS to create zoom layouts for low-vision people

[John Colby]

A parallel development is at http://essential.sci.uce.ac.uk
- we've used information from partially sighted people to determine the
magnifications required and used our student services disability
advisors to define the colours required to aid people with dyslexia.
Some of these colours are also used on the Disability Rights
Commission's website.

Current research is targeted on determining how best to display the
information that we can change site visibility - alerting users to the
required page, and also what type and colour of emphasis is used for
menus and links.

Work is ongoing.

The same technique has been used on http://www.sightlossmatters.com -
the website of our university's RNIB Rehabilitation course.

John

John Colby
Lecturer, School of Computing and Information
Room F328a, Feeney Building, University of Central England,
Franchise Street, Perry Barr, Birmingham B42 2SU