Px and WCAG 1 checkpoint 3.4 Re: Javascript question

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@sidar.org>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 23:54:25 -0600 (CST)
To: "John Carpenter" <John.Carpenter@pdms.com>
Cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

Hi John,

Short answer: I don't think that pixels are relative *in the sense
intended by the checkpoint* - that is, relative to easily user-adjusted
sizes like window size or font-size.

I believe I have a fair claim to saying what was intended by the
checkpoint, since (I believe :-) I proposed the checkpoint in the first
place.

A while ago there was a big thread about this question. Around the end of
it I went digging through the "recorded history" to check my memory, and
came up with the following (see
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ig/2004JulSep/0264 for the
message/thread):

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-gl/1998AprJun/0251.html
seemed to be the first time the suggestion to keep units relative was made.

There is an assertion that I wrote what amounts to the current checkpoint
made a few months later when it was shiny and new -
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-gl/1998JulSep/0092 is the end
of that thread.

I don't think I did a great job on the checkpoint, but I think I have
explained what I meant in a way that has been very consistent over the
subsequent 6 years.

I have actually proposed to make an erratum -
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-gl/2004JanMar/0187 - to
clarify the apparent confusion. But the group is focussing mainly on WCAG
2, so these things take time...

cheers

Chaals

--