RE: Image Galleries, Alt vs caption.

From: Francois Jordaan <Francois.Jordaan@wheel.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 20:31:52 -0000
To: "'David R. Stong'" <drs18@psu.edu>, w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Cc: "'Bailey, Bruce'" <Bruce.Bailey@ed.gov>, "John Foliot - WATS.ca" <foliot@wats.ca>, "B.K. DeLong" <bkdelong@pobox.com>
David,

> >Indeed, .76em normally renders as 12px, and not 11px as I said.
>
> Francois, "em" is a relative measurement based on the font size being
> used, what ever it is. A percentage (or decimal) of that relative
> size is still relative. That's the whole point of using "ems"

By "normally" above I simply meant that's what you'd get on a typical
Windows system with everything else affecting font size, left at their
defaults. It's useful as a benchmark.

Anyone using relative units should know that in practice, many other factors
-- both within and without their control -- may influence the actual size.

francois

Wheel Group, Beaumont House, Kensington Village, Avonmore Road, London W14
8TS

T +44 (0)20 7348 1000    F +44 (0)20 7348 1111
D +44 (0)20 7348 1049
francois.jordaan@wheel.co.uk
www.wheel.co.uk

This e-mail has been scanned for viruses by MessageLabs.