RE: Is an empty alt attribute ok when...

From: Jon Hanna <jon@hackcraft.net>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 13:30:26 +0100
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

> I would apprieciate feedback on the approach I've taken to alternative
> equivilant content. In particular, a case where the
> information content of
> the image is described in the image caption - is it
> acceptable to leave the
> alt attribute empty? (See the "Covalent bonding in a molecule
> of water"
> part.)

I'd say so, better than most of the others on that page. It's hard to think
of a context where "Half a plate of fried noodles, from the viewpoint of
someone eating them with chopsticks." would be an appropriate alt text. It's
a description of the image, not an alternative means to do what the image
does in a given page.

Such descriptions (or even more detailed perhaps) belong in longdesc pages.
The graph and the diagram of a water molecule are images that could
particularly benefit from longdesc pages.

Regards,
Jon Hanna
Work: <http://www.selkieweb.com/>
Play: <http://www.hackcraft.net/>