Re: navigation question

From: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 16:38:04 +0100
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

On Wed, May 04, 2005 at 11:30:26AM -0400, Beheler Kim wrote:
>    I have research on different ways to skip repetitive navigation.  Would
>    just using <a href="#mainContent"></a> be compliant without an image
>    inside with the alt tag describing what is does?

I assume you mean an alt attribute? There is no alt tag in HTML.

That example would fail checkpoint 13.1 (Clearly identify the target
of each link).

You don't need an image as the content, but you need
*something*. Otherwise there is nothing to tell the user where the
link will take them. With that content-less structure, the majority of
user agents won't even indicate to the user that there is a link at