Re: UK Businesses Reject Accessible Web Sites

From: Isofarro <lists@isofarro.uklinux.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2004 10:22:11 +0000
To: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@sidar.org>
Cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
>  But my experience was different - that the total cost
> of work required was not actually high. It cost less than the management
> meetings required to approve it.

Almost every project I've worked on in a FTSE-100 company the management
overhead is more than the real work!

The total cost for converting online web applications (e.g. buying
financial products online) to be accessible can be quite high. I'm
looking at a plethora of applications that depend heavily on javascript
for screen flow, with no server side validation of data. To do the job
properly (to get to WAI AA+) requires pulling out the entire html
front-end and the presentation layer on the server and rebuilding it
properly (MVC using Struts and Tiles).

In my opinion the bulk of the work involves correcting gross problems
with the application before we can even make accessibility improvements.
But even so, it has to be done before accessibility can be done properly.

The static websites themselves are low cost - once the design template
is done correctly. I agree there.

Mike.