RE: Alt is not a description (was Re: when to use longdesc for images)

> From: david poehlman

> I'm talking about setting jaws html graphics to all not
> visual graphics.  I
> have images suppressed in ie.

Ok, got the wrong end of the stick there before. So, basically
you've set JAWS to announce all graphics, not just the tagged
ones? I did a test with JAWS 4.02 set to announce all
graphics in HTML, and tried it on an image with an alt="***"
as you suggested before...but interestingly, JAWS ignores the alt
just the same way that it does alt="" or alt=" " in that particular
mode, and just announces the filename. Only once I actually put some
"normal" letter from the alphabet in the alt would it announce alt
rather than the filename.

In any case, it sounds like this is very dependent on user settings,
and I'd posit that users are at least partially responsible for setting up
their system in the way that works best for them. You consciously changed the
HTML options in Jaws (although I can't seem to replicate the effect that
you describe), which overrides any type of graceful hiding of purely
visual fluff images (which, unless I misunderstand you, is the effect that you
wanted to achieve in the first place). This does not, however, mean that
using a null alt is a practice that should be abandoned (if that was what
you were suggesting).

Patrick
Patrick H. Lauke
Webmaster / University of Salford