Re: Short and long descriptions for links

Bill,

>From a usability stand point, put all unique info for a link in a link.  If
there are no images, I'm not sure what you are describing.

Johnnie Apple Seed

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tipton, William" <bill.tipton@hp.com>
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Sent: Monday, December 20, 2004 9:50 PM
Subject: Short and long descriptions for links

Hi,

Is there a part of the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0, or
earlier that talks about labeling text links?

I am looking for something that talks about using both short
descriptions and long descriptions as the label for the link, if this is
possible.

These links do not have images and web pages are done in html.

I would like to have longer descriptions so where appropriate users who
use screen readers can pick up this longer description. The shorter
descriptions would be used for the users who do not use screen readers.
I am hoping that the screen readers would only pick the longer
description when both the short and long are used.

Is this good practice? Is there part of the recommendations that talks
about this and gives technical guidance? If so can I have the URL or
other pointers.

Thanks for your help.

Bill Tipton