RE: Short and long descriptions for links

 -----Original Message-----
 From: w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org on behalf of Patrick Lauke

 From: Matthew J. Giustino
 > Just for clarification, you are saying that "longdesc"
 > may be more appropriate to use than the "title" attribute?

 Aeh...*no*, I didn't mention longdesc anywhere in my reply, did I?

 I just adopted the terminology the thread starter used in the subject
 line...

 This makes most of your points moot, as I know that longdesc can't
 be used on A elements, isn't exposed to keyboard users, etc

 We're in agreement here that longdesc can't be used.

 Patrick

 I'm trying to rationalise which type of images (with the exception of graphs and visual data presentation) that need a longdesc without sighted readers also needing that description available. Graphs and data images (my term), being the visual interpretation of some data - do they need to be described or does the data need to be stated? I can think of instances where either one or both would be suitable.

 John

 (allegedly on annual leave)