Re: Text email newsletter standard

From: Mike Brown <mike@signify.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2004 13:30:12 +1300
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

Thank you for all the feedback on this.

The picture I'm getting is something like this:

- Plain text email is an unstructured medium
- Newsletters are an example of a document where structure is important
- At least some people (Matthew notwithstanding :) want to receive
newsletters via email
- Whilst the structure of the newsletter can be shown with HTML, it is
always a good thing to provide a plain text version

So, is the attempt by the text email newsletter standard to provide what
Patrick called "pseudo-structural information" something that is useful
or beneficial?

Personally I'm not so conecerned about them calling it a "standard" when
it clearly isn't. If it helps promote something which is a good thing,
then that can surely be forgiven!

Aside from the "pseudo-structural" sutff in the standard, a lot of it
seemed to me to be good practice, but not necessarily something writing
a newsletter would think about. For example, spelling out things rather
than using symbols, putting the name number and date of the newsletter
first, having a contents section at the top etc

Thanks again.

Mike