RE: License conditions Re: aDesigner - was Re: Bobby - a bad tool

I agree. Looked at the tool early this morning and, on first inspection, it looks pretty good.

I don't see what the problem is regarding paying for software that costs a great deal to develop. Seems like everyone wants everything for free on the internet.

-----Original Message-----
From: w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org]On
Behalf Of Jim Tobias
Sent: 28 October 2004 15:24
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: RE: License conditions Re: aDesigner - was Re: Bobby - a bad
tool

What's going on here?

1. Anyone who's tried aDesigner knows it's a pretty good tool.  It's as good
as some of the tools that cost money.  Any dissent on that?  From my use of
it, it's an excellent training tool as well as an evaluation tool with some
features not found elsewhere, especially the low vision evaluation window.

2. We blow hot and cold on commercial involvement.  On the one hand we want
companies to take accessibility seriously.  On the other hand we don't want
anyone to make any money doing so.

3. It's quite likely that the current conditions in the license are out of
the hands of aDesigner's team.  In any event, is it diabolical of IBM to
protect its IP in the event that it becomes a commercial product?  Does this
seem to people on this list as a
"first-one's-free-now-you're-hooked-and-the-price-is-one-MILLION-dollars-bwa
hahaha" game?

Geez, what ever happened to being supportive towards professional
colleagues?

*****
Jim Tobias
Inclusive Technologies