Re: Bobby - a bad tool

From: Elizabeth J. Pyatt <ejp10@psu.edu>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 16:50:59 -0400
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

The one thing about Bobby and other accessibility checkers I feel is
misleading is that they categorize manual checks as a "problem". A
site may be accessible, but will generate a long list of items to
manually check anyway.

I personally prefer Cynthia Says (http://cynthia.contentquality.com/)
because it clearly says which checkpoints are not relevant to your
site. The LIFT plugin
(http://tlt.its.psu.edu/suggestions/accessibility/lift.html) can
help, but I would recommend customizing it so that the manual check
report is disabled. Another interesting test site is WebAIM's WAVE
(http://www.wave.webaim.org/index.jsp) which is structured so that it
location of ALT tags and other tags on the page. Finally, some
editors like Dreamweaver have decent built-in accessibility checkers
and reports - see
http://tlt.its.psu.edu/suggestions/accessibility/dreamweaver.html for

I also recommend a multi-pronged testing strategy of a color check,
style sheet check, zoom check and a text browser check. Expecting an
automated tool to pick up every nuanced issue, like color contrast,
is not realistic right now,

Elizabeth J. Pyatt, Ph.D.
Instructional Designer
Education Technology Services, TLT/ITS