From: "John M Slatin" <john_slatin@austin.utexas.edu>
To: "david poehlman" <david.poehlman@handsontechnologeyes.com>; "Patrick H.
Lauke" <redux@splintered.co.uk>; "WAI Interest Group" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Sent: Thursday, October 14, 2004 9:12 AM
Subject: RE: Link Text and Metadata

Johnny Appleseedd wrote:

I meant to say that with screen readers, if link text is present, at
least
with jaws, it will always be spoken instead of title.  If title is in
the
search request and there is no link text, title will be spoken.
Yes, that's the default behavior for JAWS. However, users can configure
JAWS to (a) read the title attribute instead of the screen text or (b)
read whichever is longer.

I'm *hoping* that they will provide a new option to (c) read both screen
text and title when they are different.  (This option is already
available for form controls: JAWS can be configured to read the label
element and the title attribute when they're different.

John
Johnnie Apple Seed