Re: Link Text and Metadata

From: david poehlman <david.poehlman@handsontechnologeyes.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 07:17:58 -0400
To: "Matthew Smith" <matt@kbc.net.au>, "WAI Interest Group" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

more is better.

Johnnie Apple Seed

----- Original Message -----
From: "Matthew Smith" <matt@kbc.net.au>
To: "WAI Interest Group" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 2004 9:21 PM
Subject: Link Text and Metadata

Hi All

I have various programmes that generate (X)HTML content from a database.  I
certain fields from the database to create a menu for the collection of
Everytime I embark on a new project, I revise these programmes in light of
experience, new techinques developed, etc.  I am in the throes of doing this
present and present the following for your consideration:

At present, a link body is populated from a field specifically for that
- something as short and simple as possible.  In the title property of the
I put in the title (as would appear in <h1></h1>) of the target page.

As I also have a set of (Dublin Core) metadata fields in my table, would it
more appropriate to use a more extended description of the target page (from
DC.Description field) in place of the target page title?

To give an example:
Link text = "Contact";
Target page title = "Contact Us";
DC.Description = "Contact information for the xyz corporation";

My thinking is that using the extended description will allow the link to
sense, even if taken totally out of context.  Would this, however, create
confusing clutter?

Matthew Smith
Kadina Business Consultancy
South Australia

Outside temperature:  22.2 degrees Celcius.
Wind due South, 12.6km/hr gusting to 15.0km/hr
Temperatures today (avg/max/min):  13.3/ 30.1/  5.5 degrees Celcius.
Max wind speed today 17.9km/hr at 09:00
Precipitation today: 0.000mm