form submit buttons and javascript/hyperlinks

From: ANtony Tennant <antonytennant@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 10:24:57 +0100 (BST)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
I have searched the archives and only found the following link which is suggested a recommendation going forward http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-gl/2004JulSep/0715.html but I would still like to get an opinion for current use
Ideally a submit button should be used form submitting form data.

A query about the following technique:-
javascript is used to create a hyperlink that in turn uses javascript to submit the form data when the link is selected. A <noscript> is also added containing a form button.

Although the reliance on javascript is alleviated with the <noscript>, my question is;
for a user in a form with assistive technologies, is there any difference between a form button and a hyperlink (assuming javascript enabled), i.e do browsers expect an <input type="submit"> rather than a hyperlink and this can cause accessibility problems. I understand Jaws advises if a link or button.

Thanks