RE: Accessible Web Publishing Wizard for Microsoft Office (UIUC)

> From: Bailey, Bruce
[...]
> IMHO version 1.0 caused as many problems as it solved.
> People who didn't know much about accessible HTML just ran
> the Wizard and blithely posted the results, assuming that
> they had addressed any and all accessibility issues.  If
> users are paying, or limited to [5 slides | 4K chars | 1
> worksheet], one can hope that they will be more responsible
> with the results!

I don't think that paying customers are necessarily more responsible / discerning customers. On the contrary, some may be more likely to take the "throwing money at the problem" mentality, and be quite dismayed that the output still requires some care and consideration.

I'd side with Kevin and Brian on this one: an open source model with the chance make donations could have been a more desirable idea...or something along the lines of having a free "light" edition, and charge for the "pro" version...

Patrick
Patrick H. Lauke
Webmaster / University of Salford
http://www.salford.ac.uk