RE: Diabetes websites too complicated

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004, John Foliot - WATS.ca wrote:

> Mike Brown wrote:
> > Is the "reading age" of a site, assuming it can be measured,
> > an accessibility issue? Is there a limit to how far
> > information can be "simplified" before it loses its usefulness?

of course it is

> Readability is most certainly an access / accessibility issue.  In the
>
> Cognitive issues can be as severe as Downs Syndrome or other severe
> learning conditions (see Jonathan Chetwynd's Peepo site for ideas and
> attempts to connect to this community - http://www.peepo.com/help.html
>
> However, as you suggest, the issue becomes one of providing appropriate
> yet useful information targeted to the appropriate audience; "dumbing
> down" the content  below a certain level impacts on a site's usefulness
> just as severely as a site that is too complex.  Large web sites,

I think this is where a site (especially a complex subject) needs to have
several levels of detail,  the "for more information" button can take a
person to deeper and deeper levels of complexity.

A site like the Diabetes site needs to have the basics, a how to
live/control your D, just what is D, and maybe some life stories and a
complex medical discussion,  all can be in the form of "for more detail"
click/tab etc whatever and every site probably should have the infamous
"FAQ" tab/click

> especially those with broad or mass appeal are always well advised to
> employ an actual editor (of the human kind <grin>) to review content and
> content language to ensure that the "message" is properly crafted to the
> their readers.

I don't think any automated checker has yet been devised that can
adequately determine if a site is properly made, and unfortunately there
are far too few folks avaliable who know how to comprehensively check a
site

about the best I can come up with (and maybe it is something this list
should/could do) is a check list of items to check for...and even then I'm
sure we would leave something out.

I have seen very complex and graphic intensive sites that can't get a
"Bobby" but are very usable. and conversely I've been to sites that have
all sorts of access seals on them and they are unusable.

not an easy answer

Bob

CONFIGURE YOUR E-MAIL TO SEND TEXT ONLY, see http://expita.com/nomime.html

safety deserve Neither liberty nor safety",    Benjamin Franklin
    NO HTML/PDF/RTF in e-mail                   accessys@smartnospam.net