Re: HTML Table Markup

From: Phill Jenkins <pjenkins@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 14:43:38 -0500
To: "Ineke van der Maat" <inekemaa@xs4all.nl>
Cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
> Hello Phill
>
>> Do you have another suggestion on how to identify the millions of
>> layout tables that need to be converted to CSS layout?
>
>Perhaps we can slowly end this history by telling everybody we know who
>teaches web design that tables for layout are bad and css must be used
>instead.

No argument here - CSS must be used instead of layout tables!  That covers
new tables and repaired/converted layout table.  It doesn't cover all
those that haven't been converted/repaired yet.

>And we should never talk about tables for layout again.

Except on how to convert those millions and millions of layout table that
already exist.

>It even may be that tables for layout are an excuse for UA-builders not
>to implement full css-support?
>
>Greetings
>Ineke van der Maat

Could be, but I think it was more of a browser problem not rendering them
correctly than an authoring tool problem not coding them correctly.

Regards,
Phill Jenkins