Re: HTML Table Markup

On 13 Sep, Phill Jenkins wrote:

> Tina, that's my proposal - to examine each table and determine if it needs
> TH elements.  If the TH is needed it is added, if it is not (no "potential
> misuse"), then the null summary is added as a flag to tell that the

  And the difference between "We've added a null summary attribute
  'cause this is a layout table", "We've added a null summary attribute
  'cause we don't understand how to mark up a data table but don't wanna
  get caught during an audit" and "We've added the summary for this data
  table but not filled it in yet" ?

> examination has been preformed.  Again, my proposal is to flag those not
> needing TH elements with null summary attribute.  The only way I know to
> move on is to leave some change in the markup to indicate that TH is not
> needed versus it hasn't been examined yet.

  I'd oppose that. A table lacking TH should be flagged as an error, as
  the headers are needed to make clear the relationship between the rows
  and the columns.

  A layout table was always an oxymoron, and - I'll dare claim - never
  needed. Let's not keep this illusion up.

   [+46] 0708 557 905