RE: Does 5.1 absolutely require TH?

From: Bailey, Bruce <Bruce.Bailey@ed.gov>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 13:50:31 -0400
To: "Patrick H. Lauke" <redux@splintered.co.uk>
Cc: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

> So, to paraphrase: what's the minimum I can get away with and still put
> the WCAG boyscout badge on my site?

Yep, that is what I am asking!  (Not like their are real WCAG police or anything.)

> My advice: add the row of headings, and if absolutely necessary use CSS
> to make them unobtrusive.

Good advice to be sure.  But that is NOT what I am asking for.

Does 5.1 require *adding* TH?
(Yes, I understand 5.1 requires that TH be used *in place of* TD where appropriate, but what about the situation where there is no TD in the first place?)