RE: Layout versus data tables proposal for null summary attribute

From: Patrick Lauke <P.H.Lauke@salford.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 13:39:58 +0100
To: "WAI list" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
> nor as easy to do as by plonking things into a table

Yes, it's not easy. Creating accessible pages is also
not easy in many cases. As nice as it would be, I don't think
"easy" is a useful measure of what should or shouldn't be
done. (sorry, not having a go or anything, but I hope you catch
my drift)

> Why not propose a new element for XHTML n.n, called grid?
> It would be a semantic-free construct for layout

You forgot one major reason: because, even by your definition,
it would be a presentational element, and one of the main points
of xhtml was to rid markup from presentation.

I'd much rather see something more gridlike implemented in CSS

Patrick
Patrick H. Lauke
Webmaster / University of Salford
http://www.salford.ac.uk <http://www.salford.ac.uk/>