Re: possible alternative to css hiding with display:none etc

From: Matthew Smith <matt@kbc.net.au>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 16:01:47 +0930
To: WAI Interest Group <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

Rebecca Cox wrote in the first instance:
>>I still often see (and get asked to implement) content "hidden" from
>>screen display with CSS, that is meant to provide some sort of extra
>>information to users of text/speech browsers.

David Wooley replied:
> Note that as these techniques make the content accessible to search
> engine indexers, but not to "normal" users, they are all likely to
> be abused to stuff keywords and therefore result in low search engine
> rankings.

Matthew Smith responds:

Are we saying that even a "skip navigation" link as per the WCAG2 technique that
Rebecca mentions* would be liable to drive a page down in search engine rankings?

If so, this would constitute an accessibility technique reducing the
accessibility of a page because is not being able to find a page a part of its
overall accessibility?

Cheers

*<http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-WCAG20-HTML-TECHS-20040730/#linkgroups_hide>

--