RE: Layout versus data tables proposal for null summary attribute

John Foliot wrote:
>  >
>>  I agree that other empty tags  (e.g. summary="") are probably
>>  redundant.
>
>Redundant? Perhaps, but "bad" or wrong? No.  A table with a null summary
>will not break anything and is valid code.  What it *may* do is tweak
>the developer to the fact that their table *may* need a summary.  Not
>always, certainly, but occasionally and how can that be wrong?  (For
>that matter, it may also need an ID... Another attribute which can be
>redundant but also useful)

I agree that a null attribute is valid code, but I was approaching
this more from the aspect of trying to reduce file size.  As you may
guess, my approach is not to specify meta data unless there is some
content in it or it has a "real world" effect in the browsing
experience (most tags/attributes do, but some null attributes really
don't apepar to make a difference as far as I can tell.)

Using valid code coupled with style sheets has made my code more
accessible and definitely more streamlined. But does XHTML require
all potential attributes be specified even if they are null?

Unless removing a null attribute breaks accesibility somehow (as in
no image ALT tag), I don't see how including an empty attribute will
be beneficial. To me it's like adding a USA to my postal address even
when the mail is staying in the country. It's a valid address
attribute, but is it necessary when dealing with US domestic mail?

Putting in another .02.

Cheers

Elizabeth

--