Re: Layout versus data tables proposal for null summary attribute

From: david poehlman <david.poehlman@handsontechnologeyes.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 12:29:24 -0400
To: "Alastair Campbell" <ac@nomensa.com>
Cc: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

agreed.

Johnnie Apple Seed

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alastair Campbell" <ac@nomensa.com>
To: "david poehlman" <david.poehlman@handsontechnologeyes.com>
Cc: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Sent: Friday, August 27, 2004 12:16 PM
Subject: Re: Layout versus data tables proposal for null summary attribute

david poehlman wrote:
> If you decide that your
> image has no meaning, why put it up at all?  same for other nulls.  I
know,
> the arguments against this proposal, but it makes perfect sense to me not
> use something if there is no real cause to use it other than for passing
> some sort of test...

There are some valid uses for decorative images. They can be used to
round off corners and other visual flourishes. CSS can be used for a lot
of these, but occasionally you might find browser support tricky, so
resort to a foreground image.

Giving them any real description would probably drive screen reader
users up the wall, so applying a null alt text should save a few walls ;)

Whether null table summaries become standard may depend on how the user
agents deal with them, including the accessibility checkers. If bobby is
going to insist on you using a summary on every table to 'pass', people
are going to add summaries. Rather than having "this is a layout table"
read out 15 times per page, null would be better. Wouldn't it?

-Alastair

--

Alastair Campbell   |   Director of Technology

Please refer to the following disclaimer for this message:
http://www.nomensa.com/email/disclaimer.html