Re: New York Attorney General holds ADA applies to Web Businesses.

From: Isofarro <lists@isofarro.uklinux.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 17:50:29 +0100
To: jim@jimthatcher.com
CC: 'W3c-Wai-Ig' <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

Jim Thatcher wrote:
> I was surprised to see no replies on this important announcement. Basically
> the Attorney General of New York is holding that the ADA applies to web
> sites as "places of public accommodations."

This is good news indeed. Eliot Spitzer is visible in Internet
circles as the Attorney suing Scott Richter - the optinrealbig
spammer (or is that "high-volume email marketer"). Certainly
Spitzer seems to have a better grasp of the nature of the Web,
and that can only be a good thing. Even better when he gets
results you've mentioned above.

However, if I am reading this right, Priceline and Ramada have
reached a settlement with Spitzer, part of which is to make
their websites accessible. No ruling has been made here as to
ADA's applicability to websites - nothing as concrete as Martin
v MARTA, and Access Now v Southwestern Airlines. As I understand
it from the online press articles, the settlement agreement to
make their websites accessible isn't based on the acceptance of

Without doubt, this is certainly some positive news. Considering
the other ADA-related decisions over the past few months (for
instance the landmark decision that accessibility applies to the
justice/legal system so courthouses have to be accessible), the
overall trend has been toward applying ADA to these scenarios.
This is going a long way to undoing the damage of the Southwest
airlines verdict - but not yet a complete reversal just yet.

Which reminds me, did anything come out of the appeal on the
Southwestern ruling?