Re: New York Attorney General holds ADA applies to Web Businesses.

Jim Thatcher wrote:
> I was surprised to see no replies on this important announcement. Basically
> the Attorney General of New York is holding that the ADA applies to web
> sites as "places of public accommodations."

This is good news indeed. Eliot Spitzer is visible in Internet
circles as the Attorney suing Scott Richter - the optinrealbig
spammer (or is that "high-volume email marketer"). Certainly
Spitzer seems to have a better grasp of the nature of the Web,
and that can only be a good thing. Even better when he gets
results you've mentioned above.

However, if I am reading this right, Priceline and Ramada have
reached a settlement with Spitzer, part of which is to make
their websites accessible. No ruling has been made here as to
ADA's applicability to websites - nothing as concrete as Martin
v MARTA, and Access Now v Southwestern Airlines. As I understand
it from the online press articles, the settlement agreement to
make their websites accessible isn't based on the acceptance of
wrong-doing.

Without doubt, this is certainly some positive news. Considering
the other ADA-related decisions over the past few months (for
instance the landmark decision that accessibility applies to the
justice/legal system so courthouses have to be accessible), the
overall trend has been toward applying ADA to these scenarios.
This is going a long way to undoing the damage of the Southwest
airlines verdict - but not yet a complete reversal just yet.

Which reminds me, did anything come out of the appeal on the
Southwestern ruling?

Mike.