Re: Accessibility humanized

From: Alastair Campbell <ac@nomensa.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 13:05:44 +0100
To: Andy Budd <andy@message.uk.com>
CC: W <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

Andy Budd wrote:
> I'm personally interested in how the WAI guidelines were derived. Are
> they a result of comprehensive user testing, or simply recommendations
> from accessibility experts?

I've not been involved in creating the guidelines, however, I can say
that doing an audit based on the WCAG v1 checkpoints has tallied very to
usability testing with people of various abilities (e.g. people who use
screen readers,  screen magnifiers, browser controls and people who are
deaf, have mild cognitive impairments and/or motor difficulty.)

Although the weighting was a little different (testing showed more of
the 'usability' aspects of the WCAG, e.g. consistent navigation and
plain English aspects), the overall correlated well.

It has to be said that using the WCAG (v1) checkpoints to audit a site
takes some experience both in web development and in the technologies
people use to access sites.

Kind regards,

-Alastair

--

Alastair Campbell   |   Director of Technology

Please refer to the following disclaimer for this message:
http://www.nomensa.com/email/disclaimer.html