Re: Accessibility humanized

yes, it is the technologeye who is disabled, not us.

Johnnie Apple Seed

----- Original Message -----
From: "John M Slatin" <john_slatin@austin.utexas.edu>
To: "david poehlman" <david.poehlman@handsontechnologeyes.com>; "wai-ig
list" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Sent: Saturday, August 21, 2004 1:01 PM
Subject: RE: Accessibility humanized

The article below makes some important points, and I second the notion
that accessible design is (or should be) an extension of user-centered
design-- an extension that has to begin by expanding the concept of
"user" to include people with disabilities.

But I take issue with (and am somewhat offended by) the following
statement from the article:

There is no way we can make disabled peoples experience of the web
equivalent to that of non-disabled people. What we can do is to make it
less tedious within their particular field of experience.

This is (pardon the technical expression) pure hogwash.  Or rather, this
is the best that can be hoped for if you make the supposition that
accessibility begins with a completed Web site designed for people with
perfect vision, perfect hearing, full range of motion and feeling in
their limbs and extremities, and the cognitive apparatus of (name your
favorite brilliant person), and then tries to "provide access" to that
experience for people who are "deficient" in one or more of those areas
(who isn't?).    That's called retrofitting, and it's true-- sometimes
you're starting from a finished design and all you can do is retrofit
and do the best you can.

But accessibility doesn't always have to start from a completed design
that has to be retrofitted.  If you have the good fortunte to be working
on a brand-ndw site, design can *start* with accessibility in mind,
start with a determination to create a r ich and satisfying experience
for all prospective users. I believe that if you start by trying to
create such an experience for users who have disabilities-- the "most
difficult" needs to meet-- you'll also create a rich and meaningful
experience for users who don't have disabilities (the reverse is
manifestly not true: just look around you).  That's a hell of a lot
better than "mak[ing] it less tedious for them."

Speaking from my own perspective as a user who is blind, please don't
patronize me by trying to "make things less tedious" for me.  Please do
*yourself* the honor of setting out to create the best damn Web
experience you can for *all* your users.

Sorry for the rant.
John

"Good design is accessible design."

Dr. John M. Slatin, Director