Fw: RE: New York Attorney General holds ADA applies to Web Businesses.

From: Harry Loots <harry.loots@ieee.org>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 10:56:02 +0100
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

From: "Jim Thatcher" <jim@jimthatcher.com>

> I was surprised to see no replies on this important announcement. Basically
> the Attorney General of New York is holding that the ADA applies to web
> sites as "places of public accommodations." This announcement
> mentions two companies that have settled and agreed to comply. If
> you look in detail, you will find that the agreement is pretty close
> to WCAG AA in spite of the fact the news reports focus on use of the
> web sites by folks who are blind.

we were all busy popping champagne corks!
- now we may actually state legal precedent to our clients, who look at us
skeptically when we say that web site accessibility is a legal requirement.

when this happens in the UK, i'll have a champagne party!!!!

Regards
Harry
Ikhaya Internet Consulting
mobile : 0794 034 3919