Surprise? Re: NY Attorney General holds ADA ...

I'm not sure why it is a big surprise. There is not a lot of case law in
this area, but there is some, and the general trend appears to be that
laws meant for bricks and mortar businesses (becasue that's what was
around when they happened to be written) apply to internet-based
businesses too. Naturally there are exceptions to this line of
interpretation (one of them occasioned howls of protest on this and other
accessibility fora about a year ago).

On the other hand, while the legal landscape in which accessibility
happens is important to know about, this is not a list filled with
lawyers, law makers, or people otherwise in a position to do much more
than note the fact and get on with their jobs. It is clearly potentially
interesting, but I don't see anything obvious to discuss (beyond basic
questions like "is the article accurate? Where do I find the rulings? Does
this have legal implications in the province of Saskatoon?" which aren't
always the main interests of list participants). It is a bit like an
announcement that the browser w3m supports CSS. It might lead to
discussions about how to use it, or it might not. But to a large extent it
would be one of the interesting things that make up the landscape.

just my 2 cents worth. Bear in mind that I don't live or work in New
York...

cheers

Chaals

--