RE: PDF in WCAG 2

From: Patrick Lauke <P.H.Lauke@salford.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 12:55:10 +0100
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

> From: Kurt_Mattes@bankone.com
[...]
> Moreover,
> this example seems
> to beg for downloadable content.  If simply getting on the
> net is such an issue, having a local copy of the content [a
> PDF for example] would be the
> best solution.

Is HTML not downloadable? And how does the filesize (and therefore,
time to download) of HTML compare with your average PDF (which in
many cases originated from a print job, with lots of pretty pictures
that more often than not are still at a whopping print resolution)?

> I also find it interesting that there seems to be no problem
> spending web
> site owners money - whatever it costs, create HTML versions
> for PDFs - but users should not have to spend a dime.

Call me naive, but: if we're talking about sites for the provision of
goods and (commercial) services, I really don't see the problem in
having the owners charged...as they're online to *make* money, no?

Patrick
Patrick H. Lauke
Webmaster / University of Salford
http://www.salford.ac.uk