Re: Validation in WCAG 2

From: Tina Holmboe <tina@greytower.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 11:19:15 +0200 (CEST)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

On 18 Aug, Jesper Tverskov wrote:

> In the proposal for WCAG-2 validation of markup and CSS is now "level
> one success Criteria for Guideline 4.1". In WCAG-1 the issue was listed
> in Checkpoint 3.2 as Priority 2.

  If I understand that correctly, then this is a long-time dream of mine
  come true.

> But there are also some problems in the validation-issue. It is easy to
> make the transitional versions of HTML and XHTML validate but not that
> easy if you opt for "strict" or XHTML 1.1.

  This, however, confuses me. Why do you think it is more difficult to
  write syntactically correct HTML "strict" - or XHTML 1.1 for that
  matter ?

> Maybe validation should be level one for the transitional versions and
> level two for the strict versions? I would like to hear the opinion of
> other members of this list.

  Personally I would like to see "validation" replaced with "Prior to
  attempting a compliancy check against WCAG, ensure that all markup and
  style languages in use are syntactically valid".

  Call it a pre-checkpoint, if you like.

   [+46] 0708 557 905