Re: Using em or percent for properties that need to change

From: Lynn Alford <lynn.alford@jcu.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 08:58:40 +1000
To: W <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

At 04:24 PM 17/08/2004 +0100, Andy Budd wrote:

>Patrick Lauke wrote:
>
>>I'd say no. Optimal width of, say, a column of text should really relate
>>to the size of the font used, in my opinion. Hence, it would ideally
>>be defined in ems or ens...so elastic or semi elastic layouts.
>>Again, potentially a good idea for sites to define more than one stylesheet:
>>an elastic or semi elastic one, and a fixed width one...
>
>But is that an accessibility issue, a usability issue, or a personal
>preference?

I'd call that a 'prevent the page from breaking' issue.  If you have an
absolute width for say, the navigation column, and an elastic width for the
fonts; when the fonts are expanded enough, a long word can overflow the
containing box and overlap the content in the next box.  Been there, done
that and it is very ugly indeed.  I like that margins and paddings are in
px, that makes much sense.  But all basic widths should be of a similar
type (be it em or % or even px) or layout can die in your lovely css very
very quickly.

Lynn