From: w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org]On
Behalf Of Harry Loots
Sent: Tuesday, August 17, 2004 12:27 PM
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: Watered-down Content And Guidelines 2.0

the more i read the 'guidelines' (WCAG 2.0), the more disillusioned i become.

i'm getting the impression that when it's all said and done, there won't be
any regulation left.

Each guideline is now coached in such terms, so that whatever you end up doing
may be okay; because even if the guideline states this or that, then there is
an escape clause inserted which should please the plug-in software vending
fraternity, who may now, in all honesty tell governments (their biggest
consumer) that their software allows for accessible content, "without any HTML
knowledge required"! Despite the fact that their software may only run on the
latest and selected operating systems.

At least with WCAG 1.0 the rules were clear - and there were no escape
clauses. What we really need is for WCAG 1.0 to be re-arranged to reflect
genuine accessibility requirements; not a watered-down attempt to appease
software vendors.

Regards
Harry
Ikhaya Internet Consulting

This transmission may contain information that is privileged, confidential and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the information contained herein (including any reliance thereon) is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you received this transmission in error, please immediately contact the sender and destroy the material in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard copy format. Thank you