Re: CSS generated content

From: Phill Jenkins <pjenkins@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 09:26:21 -0500
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
>Your battle has been lost: Generated content is part of the CSS spec and
>will not be removed. Game over.

It's a 508 requirement (see note 1) as well.  Although I agree with your
issue; Why have 508 and WCAG accessibility standards contradict or
restrict the CSS spec?  They are the current published standards and until
508 guidance is revised and/or WCAG 2.0 comes out and clarifies a few
things - it's what we have today.  Perhaps a better approach would be to
change the CSS spec so that generated semantic content would not be
allowed and user style sheets would rule better- and keep the CSS spec
simpler to only deal with styling.

Regards,
Phill Jenkins

Note 1: Technical standard and guidance on 508 requirement for CSS
http://www.access-board.gov/sec508/guide/1194.22.htm#(d)