Re: Breadcrumbs

From: Phill Jenkins <pjenkins@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 17:36:12 -0500
To: Jon Gunderson <jongund@uiuc.edu>
Cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
>Phill,
>CSS can be used to restyle <LI> elements to create a number
>of graphic effects in current browsers.
>Jon

Jon, do you disagree with my earlier post?  I think just adding the title
attribute label is not enough.

If someone codes [bread crumb links] as a list and uses CSS to add
"greater than looking" image characters before each link - then I believe
that is NOT accessible because if I turn off CSS I loose the hint from the
"greater than looking images" that separate the links.  Those
images/characters are the hint that lets both the sighted and screen
reader users know they have encountered a bread crumb list of links.  CSS
should not be used to add semantical information through styling.  Some
may argue that styling a list to make it look like a bread crumb list is
OK because it's a list after all isn't it?  My response has already been
that it is not "just" a list of links.  Bread crumbs are a special list of
links that convey additional hierarchal meaning that is not available from
invention of the current use of the "greater than" characters and the
horizontal formatting on a single line.

Regards,
Phill