Re: Ordered lists and screen reader handling - Re: Breadcrumbs

From: Phill Jenkins <pjenkins@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 16:42:13 -0500
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
>Do screen readers / speech browsers actually take advantage of
>an ordered list markup - for instance read out the order number
>/ position number of an item in a list?
>
>I've scanned through the options and preferences of IBM Home page
>reader and haven't found what I'm looking for.

Mike, I don't think the current version of HPR supports nested order lists
as you suggest.  However, order lists are supported by reading the number
[or order].

Try HPR with the order list on
http://www-306.ibm.com/able/guidelines/web/webmarkup.html.

Also, I demonstrated at CSUN , HPR based technology that did in fact
indicate the nesting of ordered and unordered list.  The next release of
HPR has not been announced yet nor has it been announced that there will
be a next release.  But we did show some of the new technologies that are
based on HPR as an indication of what IBM was working on.

Regards,
Phill Jenkins