Re: Breadcrumbs

From: Phill Jenkins <pjenkins@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 16:26:21 -0500
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Let face it, what we really need is a "breadcrumb" XHTML tag to get the
proper semantics,  Breadcrumbs are not simple or order lists, they are not
headings, or any existing HTML semantic tag.  They are a hierarchal list
of link representing a path through a Web site,

But in the meantime, we all seem to be able to learn the meaning of the
common convention of using the "greater than" character in between the
links in the breadcrumb hierarchy:

Home > products > specific product > this page

Once it is explained to the screen reader user, the sighted user, any user
- then they get it,  Same thing for first time users on the Web - once I
explained links to my Mother, she got it.

Regards,
Phill